Yield: Makes 8 tortillas.
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
1 ¼ all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 - 1 ¼ cups warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or shortening
- In large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder.
- Gradually add enough warm water and oil to make a soft dough. Stir until mixture is combined and sticks together. If dough is too sticky, add small sprinkles of flour. Knead dough lightly to form a smooth dough ball for about two minutes. If dough is dry, add small sprinkles of water.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces; shape each into a ball. Cover; let dough rest 15 to 20 minutes before rolling out or place in sealable bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball, starting in the center and rolling out, into an 8 to 10-inch circle.
- Heat griddle or skillet to 400°F. Bake each tortilla about 1½ to 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Tortilla will have brown speckled spots. Stack, cover and keep warm.
Nutrition Information: 1 tortilla provides approximately: 164 calories, 5 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 4 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 33 mcg folate, 2 mg iron, 219 mg sodium.